Monday, November 5, 2007

Taking care of bidness - next to last day (11.2.07)





Today's goal was last minute shopping so that I could take my wares to the post office tomorrow morning, but once again I got a late start out of the hostel and didn't feel like doing much shopping. On my way to pick up some Hard Rock Cafe paraphenalia for Juliana (who got sick on her last night and couldn't get it), I walked by the American University in Cairo and snapped a photo. On the way back from the HRC I stopped into the Semiramis Intercontinental to try and find out how to buy the photo of me and Dina with no luck. Dinner was in Sbarro and then I was too stuffed to do the clothing shopping on Talaat Harb street that I had been planning on doing all week.
*
I then realized that I had to go by the Khan El Khalili for the 10th time in 15 days to pick up costumes from the Mohameds and get anything else that I wanted to ship. Zizo came with me and took me to some places that he knew of to try and find Saidi costuming and some "bedoin" jewelry. I talked to my mother briefly on the phone who suggested that I not get bogged down in the chores of shopping but to try and enjoy my last few days. I thought about it and realized that tis is one of the things that I am enjoying about Cairo. I am here with a purpose and a mission and it makes me feel a little bit more alive in the city.
*
Zizo and I left the market after most of the stores closed up, so ended up wandering through the dirty back streets of the old Jewish quarter. It was then "early" to bed since I have an action packed day of shopping, shipping, and dancing tomorrow!

No comments: